Senior Care Options, a Medicaid nursing facility pre-admission assessment program, assures appropriate utilization of long term care services covered by Medicaid. It is designed to ensure that Medicaid applicants who request nursing facility care receive information about all options available for their level of care need.
The Options counselor will take information from the applicant, family, physician, nursing facility (if appropriate) and other supports to evaluate level of care needs. The counselor will evaluate:
- Amount of assistance needed with activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, eating, personal care, etc.
- Whether there are safety concerns, behavior issues or other risks.
- Health conditions and types of assistance needed related.
If the Medicaid applicant meets nursing facility level of care the Options counselor will explain options available that may include:
- Remaining in their own home with in-home services
- Assisted Living services
- Nursing facility services
The intent of the program is to:
- Help older Nebraskans find the right care at the right time.
- Allow older Nebraskans to live independently for as long as possible.
- Save taxpayer dollars by making Medicaid more efficient.
If the applicant does not meet nursing facility level of care criteria, the Options counselor will refer to other services that may be available to meet their needs.
For more information about Senior Care Options call Blue Rivers AAA at 402-223-1376 or 888-317-9417.